Make Creamy Greek Yogurt at Home with a Bear Yogurt Maker
Fans of Greek yogurt know that it certainly gets expensive shopping for this snack every week in the store. Instead of adding store bought yogurt to your shopping cart, did you know that you can easily make your own Greek yogurt at home with the Bear Greek Yogurt Maker?
You can experiment with your favorite flavors and toppings in the comfort of your kitchen. This kitchen appliance is a game changer for yogurt lovers!
In this article, I’ll walk you through the basics of the Bear Greek Yogurt Maker while providing step-by-step instructions on how to use it. I’ll even jump start your creativity by sharing some delicious beginner recipes!
Overview of the Bear Greek Yogurt Maker
The Bear Greek Yogurt Maker is a simple, compact machine that allows you to make up to 1.2 quarts of yogurt at a time.
It’s made of high-quality, BPA-free plastic and features an easy-to-use control panel with a timer and temperature display. I’m all for avoiding complicated controls!
One of my favorite features about this yogurt machine is the way it regulates temperature. By keeping the heat consistent through the yogurt making process, I always ended up with the perfect texture every time.
That’s ideal, as you’ll want to use this machine all the time. After all, yogurt has so many great uses (aside from just eating it as-is of course)!
Turn it into frozen yogurt with the help of a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker for a cool treat, use Frozip Popsicle Bags to make low-sugar GoGurt for the kids, or lather up your dog’s Lick Mat without worrying about store-bought additives!
Key Features of the Bear Greek Yogurt Maker
- Makes up to 1.2 quarts of yogurt at a time
- Can also make Greek yogurt, kefir yogurt, cheese, and fruit wine
- BPA-free plastic construction
- Easy-to-use control panel with timer and temperature display
- Maintains consistent temperature for optimal yogurt making
- Comes with two 1-qt glass jars with lids for batch storage
How to Use the Bear Greek Yogurt Maker
Before you start making yogurt with your Bear Greek Yogurt Maker, it’s important to read the instruction manual carefully to ensure that you’re using the machine properly. Here are the basic steps to get you started:
- Sterilize the equipment by boiling the jars, lids, and stirring spoon for 10 minutes. Let them cool completely before using
- Heat up the milk to 85-90°C (185-194°F) in a pot or microwave, then let it cool to 40-45°C (104-113°F)
- Mix in the yogurt culture (using some store bought plain or Greek yogurt with live cultures is ideal) and any flavorings you like
- Pour the mixture into the jars and place them in the Bear Greek Yogurt Maker
- Set the timer and temperature according to the recipe you’re using and let the machine do its work
- Once the cooking cycle has completed, remove the milk container and store it in your refrigerator for at least 3 hours
- If you are making Greek yogurt, pass it through the strainer to separate the whey
- Return to the refrigerator and leave for 8 hours, or until set
Bear Yogurt Maker Instructions and Greek Yogurt Recipe
Making Greek yogurt in the Bear Greek Yogurt Maker is easy and fun. Here’s a simple recipe to get you started:
- 1 liter of whole milk
- 1/4 cup of plain Greek yogurt (as a starter culture)
- Sterilize the jars, lids, and stirring spoon as described above
- Heat the milk in a pot over medium heat until it reaches 85-90°C (185-194°F)
- Remove the pot from heat and let it cool down to 40-45°C (104-113°F)
- Mix in the yogurt culture until it’s well incorporated
- Pour the mixture into the jars, making sure to leave a bit of space at the top (I use about 1 qt of liquid in the 1.2-quart jars)
- Place the jars into the Bear yogurt maker, close the lid, and set the temperature to 42°C (107°F)
- Let the machine work for 8-12 hours until the yogurt is thick and creamy
- Once the yogurt is ready, refrigerate it for at least 2 hours, then strain and chill again before serving
You can adjust the recipe to suit your personal preferences, such as adding honey, fruit, or granola as toppings.
Greek yogurt has a number of health benefits that you can enjoy more readily since it’s so easy to always have a supply on hand!
Bear Yogurt Maker Cheese Recipe
Did you know that you can also use the Bear yogurt maker to make cheese?
Yes, you read that right! With the Bear yogurt maker, you can easily make delicious and creamy cheese at home. If you’re interested, then try out this simple Bear yogurt maker cheese recipe to get you started:
- Pour 0.8L (about 27 fl oz) of milk into the included glass jar
- Add 50ml (or a scant ¼ cup) lemon juice or vinegar
- Select the “cheese” setting on the Bear yogurt maker, which will automatically cook for 6 hours
- Once the cycle completes, remove the glass jar and cool it for 2-3 hours in your refrigerator
- After it has cooled, pour the mixture into cheesecloth in a strainer over a bowl. Tie the cheesecloth at the top with a rubber band to create a pouch
- Return to the refrigerator and let it drain for about 8 hours, then enjoy!
The cheese produced from a Bear is a soft cheese, somewhere near a cream cheese or ricotta in texture. I think it goes great on toast with a smear of jam for breakfast!
If you’re looking for additional recipe inspiration, there are plenty of cheese recipes available online that are specifically designed for yogurt makers.
Bear Yogurt Maker Review
Now that I’ve covered all the basics, let’s dive into a review of the Bear yogurt maker. We tested the product thoroughly and were impressed with its performance and ease of use. Here are some of the features that we loved:
- Large capacity: The Bear yogurt maker has a generous capacity, which is enough to make yogurt for the whole family
- Automatic shut-off: The machine has an automatic shut-off feature, which means that it will turn off once the yogurt is ready. This is a great safety feature and prevents overcooking
- Easy to clean: All the parts of the Bear yogurt maker are removable and dishwasher safe, which makes cleaning a breeze
- Sleek design: The yogurt maker has a sleek and modern design that looks great in any kitchen
- Cost saving: Save a portion of each batch to reuse as the next starter! Then you only need milk, which is cheaper than already made yogurt to purchase
- Health benefits: Control the ingredients, such as sugars, to manage your health needs, allergies, or other dietary restrictions
Overall, we highly recommend the Bear yogurt maker to anyone looking for a high-quality yogurt maker that is easy to use and produces delicious yogurt every time.
Can I use non-dairy milk to make yogurt in the Bear yogurt maker?
Yes, you can use non-dairy milk such as soy milk or almond milk to make yogurt in the Bear yogurt maker. Just make sure to follow the instructions carefully and use a yogurt starter that is compatible with non-dairy milk.
How long does it take to make yogurt in the Bear yogurt maker?
The time it takes to make yogurt in the Bear yogurt maker depends on the type of milk and starter you use. On average, it takes around 8-12 hours to make yogurt.
Is it possible to make yogurt without a yogurt maker?
Yes, you can make yogurt without a yogurt maker, but it requires more time and effort. You will need to use a double boiler or slow cooker to maintain a consistent temperature and incubate the yogurt for several hours.
Can I Use Greek Yogurt as a Starter for Yogurt Making?
Yes, you can use Greek yogurt as a starter for yogurt making. Regular yogurt and commercial starter culture works as well.
Make sure to check that the yogurt you intend to use is labeled as containing live cultures for best results.
More Kitchen Gadgets for Making Homemade Foods
- Gummy Candy Maker
- Instant Pot (Stormtrooper Design)
- Sparkling Water and Soda Maker
- Best Smart Kitchen Scales
- Essential Kitchen Tools and Utensils
The Bear yogurt maker is a fantastic product that is perfect for anyone who loves homemade yogurt.
It’s easy to use, produces delicious yogurt every time, and can even be used to make cheese!
I hope this article has been helpful in answering any questions you may have about the Bear yogurt maker.
If you’re in the market for a new yogurt maker, I highly recommend giving the Bear yogurt maker a try!